Sunday, November 4, 2012

Back After Lengthy Hiatus

It has been nearly 3 years and 2 months after my last post. I wished I could say in that time, I have returned a market-stomping 25% per annum compounding on my portfolio. Alas, it is not to be.

Rather, what had happened was as follows:

In year 2008- X capital allocated to shares.

In year 2009- X capital became 1/2 X- you read that right. The portfolio declined by 50%.

In year 2010- portfolio recovered to 0.8 X.

In year 2011- portfolio recovered fully to X. A further 1.5X capital injected, thus portfolio totalled 2.5X.

In year 2012- portfolio of 2.5X gained 60%. Portfolio now 4X.

In hindsight, the mistake was simple. I did not buy when others were fearful. The most glaring example seared in my memory is FLT at $5.50, after Skroo Turner bought heavily at $3.50. This would have been a five-bagger in 3 years, not counting dividends.

The consolation is that it has not been time wasted. I have come to appreciate the huge importance of having a disciplined process. The resurrection of this blog is intended to ensure I keep to my process, and to share with readers the daily trials and tribulations of a value investor. Hopefully, we will all learn something in the process.

No comments: